4th of July – Celebration Pie
This is a pie I have always wanted to make, I found a spiced version so here we go !
- 250g (1 2/3 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 160g butter, chilled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 345g (1 1/4 cups) pumpkin, cooked, mashed, cooled (see note)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 250ml can Nestle Reduced Fat Cream
- 60g (1/3 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Double cream to serve
- Step 1
Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 4.5cm-deep, 23cm pie plate with oil. Process the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water. Process until the mixture just comes together.
- Step 2
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured sheet of baking paper and roll to a 4mm-thick disc. Line the base and side of the dish with pastry and trim any excess. Pinch edges to crimp. Place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to rest.
- Step 3
Line the pastry case with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights or rice and bake for a further 10 minutes or until light golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- Step 4
Combine the pumpkin, maple syrup, cream, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour over the pastry. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until just set. Set aside to cool completely.
- Step 5
Dust the pie with icing sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with double cream.
Recipe from Taste.com.au