- 2 x 8g sachets of yeast
- 1 ¼ cup (310ml) milk, warmed ( not hot )
- ¼ cup (60g) caster sugar
- 4 cups (600g) plain flour
- 2 tsp chilli powder or flakes
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp freshly ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground salt
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 11/2 cups (250g) dark or milk chocolate bits or 3/4 cup fruit & 3/4 cup choc bits.
- 2 x 60g eggs
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
- ¼ cup apricot jam for brushing
Whisk yeast, milk, caster sugar until the sugar dissolves. Set aside for 10 minutes. Sift plain flour, chilli, mixed spice, cardamom, salt into a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in butter.
Stir in chocolate bits, eggs and yeast mixture and mix until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Put in large greased bowl. Cover and leave in warm spot ¾ hour. Turn dough onto a floured surface, punch down, and cut dough into 20 pieces, knead each piece until smooth balls.
Place balls into 30cm x 20cm greased tray. Set aside for ¼ hour.
Meanwhile, preheat oven for 200ºC, combine S.R flour with ½ cup water to make a smooth paste. Pour past into a zip lock bag, snip top and pipe crosses onto each buns.