Fig Marsala Cake
- 250 g soft dried figs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) marsala
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup (140g) sour cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a deep 22cm baba pan well.
- Combine figs and marsala in a small saucepan; bring to the boil. Cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat butter and brown sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in sifted flours and soda, and sour cream.
- Blend or process fig mixture until it forms a smooth paste; stir into cake mixture. Spread mixture into the pan; smooth surface.
- Bake cake about 1 hour. Stand in pan 5 minutes; turn onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.