Mother’s Day – Heart Clementine Cake – from Walter Mitty ( Cathy Merenda’s recipe )
• 375 grams clementines (approximately 5 small) ( Mandarin in Australia )
• 6 eggs
• 1 1/4 cup (225 grams) white sugar
• 2 1/4 cups (250 grams) ground almonds
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter and line an 8 or 9 inch springform pan with parchment. ( Heart shape tin lined )
2. Poke each clementine 3 or 4 times with a knife. Put the clementines in a bowl with a microwave safe cover or plastic wrap. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes. Cool slightly then dump the clementines (whole) in a food processor and process until smooth.
3. In large bowl beat eggs and sugar until light colored and doubled in volume (about 5 minutes)
4. Add in chopped clementines and mix well. Then add ground almonds and baking power and mix until combined.
5. Pour mixture into pan and bake for about 45 minutes (when a skewer will come out clean).
6. Cool in the pan on a rack. Once cake is cold, remove from pan and pull off any parchment.
7. Glaze and add candied clementines to decorate.
• 2 cups confectioners sugar
• 3 tablespoons softened butter
• 1/2 cup clementine juice
1. Mix everything in a bowl adjusting clementine juice and sugar to make a loose but thick glaze
Decorate with glaze and place fresh cut roses in the middle.
I am allergic to Mandarin so i didn’t make the candied version for decoration see recipe below. .
• 3 clementines
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 cup water
1. Slice clementines very thinly.
2. Put sugar and water in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
3. Add clementine slices and simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Pull clementines from sugar mixture and place on parchment or silpat until cool.