South African Koeksisters
250 ml water ( 1 cup )
625 grams white sugar (2 1/2 cups)
2 1/2 tsp lemon juice
5 ml vanilla essence
375 grams plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp slat
20 grams butter or margarine
150 ml soy milk or vanilla soy milk
750 ml of canola oil ( 3 cups )
1. Place the water and sugar in a pot and bring to boil on low heat,
stir frequently until the sugar is completely dissolved. Boil for 7 mins
2. Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the lemon juice and vanilla essence. Put the pot into the fridge.
3. Mix the flour,salt and baking powder thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Break the butter into small pieces
and add to the flour mixture then add the milk and mix well until a dough is formed.
4. Roll the dough out to a thickness of 5 mm and cut into 10 cm lengths.
Braid the strips using 3 make sure you seal the ends well.
5. Heat the oil in a pot until fairly hot. Put about 3 Koeksisters in at a time to fry until golden brown.
Place directly into the syrup from the fridge keep the syrup cool between dunks.
6. Remove koeksisters from the syrup and allow excess syrup to drip off. Place them in the refrigerator to cool and then eat.
My South African sisters tell me that these should be made with two friends.
Well I didn’t have two friends but I did have my son and husband rolling out the dough that will do.