Rhubarb & Apple Eccles
1 & 1/2 cups of OO flour
175g cold butter, frozen
1/2 cup cold water
1 Apple peeled cut into 1 cm pieces
2 stalks of fresh Rhubarb cut into 1 cm pieces
1 Tablespoon orange juice
40 g Butter
1/3 cup White Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl and grate butter into the bowl with flour.
Using a knife cut through the butter until mixture resembles course breadcrumbs.
Slowly add water and bring together with your hands, to form a dough adding more water if necessary.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins to rest.
4. Meanwhile, heat a non stick fry pan over medium heat. Add apple and Rhubarb, orange juice and cook for 5 mins or until juice has evaporated and fruit has softened. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
5. Melt butter in pan over medium heat, add sugar and stir to combine, add sultana stir then remove from heat and transfer to a bowl with fruit and refrigerate until cold.
6. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll dough out to 3 mm thick and cut out circles in pastry using a 8 cm round cutter.
7. Place 1 heaped teaspoon filling into the middle of the rounds and with a pastry brush lightly brush edges with water, then gather the edges together to enclose filling to form a pouch.
8. Turn over so seam is underneath then using a rolling pin, gently roll to about 6 cm wide.
9. Place cakes onto 2 trays lined with baking paper.
10. Cook for about 15 mins.